Two-Step verification featured in Yahoo Mail works as an additional layer of security in addition to the password. Enabling the feature in your account will send a security code to your registered phone number each time you access your account from a new device or web browser. This way no-one will be able to gain access to your account and misuse it. To know how to enable and disable Two-Step verification in your Yahoo Mail account, follow the instructions provided below.
Steps to Enable Two-Step Verification in Yahoo Mail
- Open a supported web browser on your computer and sign in to your Yahoo Mail account.
- Once you are logged into your Yahoo Mail account, click on your Profile Picture/ Name located on the upper-right corner of the screen. This will open a drop-down menu on your screen.
- From the drop-down menu, you will need to click on the Account info Doing so will direct you to the Account info section of your Yahoo Mail account.
- In the Account info section, click on the Account security option located on the left-hand side panel. This will take you to the Account security section of your Yahoo Mail account.
NOTE: You may be prompted to provide your Yahoo Mail password to get access to the Account security section.
- Once you are in the Account security section, you will need to scroll down to the bottom of the page to get to the Two-Step verification In this section, there will be two ways provided to secure your account -Using the Security key or using a Phone number.
- The Security key option will allow you to sign in by tapping on your personal security key, on the other hand, the Phone number option will allow you to access your account by verifying the code sent to your phone. Depending on the option you select, follow the below-mentioned steps:
For Security Key Option
If you select the Security Key option, make sure to connect the Security Key to your device before you follow the below-mentioned steps:
- First, click on the Learn more option located next to the Security key
- Next, click on the Set up key
- Then, click on the Continue button and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the Two-Step Verification process using the Security Key
NOTE: The Security Key option is available as a Beta version only, so you might experience issues using until a stable version is updated.
For Phone Number Option
If you select the Phone number option, follow these instructions:
- To begin with, you will first need to click on the Slider button located next to the Phone number option under the Two-step verification
- Next, enter the mobile number in the provided field and click on the Send SMS or Call me You will then receive a message through SMS or Call on your phone.
- Once you get the verification code, enter it in the provided field and press the Verify
- You will see the “You’ve enabled two-step verification” message on the next screen. Here, you will need to click on the OK button to get back to the Account security
- For accessing your Yahoo Mail account on certain email clients or applications, you will need to generate an app password by following these steps:
- Go to the Account security
- On the bottom of the page, click on the Generate app password
- Then, select the email app from the “Select your app” menu and click on the Generate button next to it.
- After that, copy the code and go to your Yahoo account on the email app.
- As you will open the email on the app, you will be prompted to update your password.
- In the provided field, you will need to enter the code you copied and save it.
- Now, whenever you will sign into your Yahoo Mail account using a new device or browser, you will be asked to provide a verification code sent on your registered phone number.
So, now as you know the process to enable the Two-Step verification feature in your Yahoo Mail account, you can enable it whenever you wish to.
To Disable Two-Step Verification Feature in Yahoo Mail
- Sign in to your Yahoo Mail account, you will need to click on the Profile Picture/ Name located on the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Next, select the Account info option and click on the Account security option located on the left-hand side panel.
NOTE: You may be prompted to enter the password to get access to the Account security section.
- Once you are in the Account security section, you will need to scroll down to the bottom of the page to get to the Two-Step verification
- Next, click on the slider next to the Two-step verification feature to disable the option.
- As you will click on the slider option, the Two-step verification feature will be disabled.